Portfolio / Vita
This page is eternally under construction. Anything that I put up here, you can bet I'm pretty proud of.
Honors & Awards
- Nominated: School of Information and Library Science 2011 Outstanding Teacher Award for adjunct faculty, UNC, 3/2011
- Library Journal Mover & Shaker award, 3/2011
- Spotlight Staff Award for creating the UNC Libraries mobile website, 1/2010
- North Carolina Library Association Biennial Conference, 10/17/13 - Web Design for Libraries
- North Carolina Library Association Biennial Conference, 10/15/13 - Taming the Hydra: A Strategic Approach to Maintaining Libguides
- Triangle Research Libraries Network, 7/22/13 - Lightning Talks Moderator
- NCLA Technology and Trends Webinar, 3/20/13 - Teach Yourself How to Program
- Pennsylvania Library Association Workshop, 9/21/12 - Goodbye Gutenberg? The Real Impact of Emerging Technologies on Libraries, Publishing and Patrons
- North Carolina Community College Learning Resources Association 2012 conference, 4/2/12 - Mobile Apps in Libraries: Past, Present, and Future
- Computers in Libraries 2012 conference, 3/21/12 - Learning with Gadget Collections! - Cybertour
- NCLA Annual Conference, 10/5/11 - Looking Ahead: Assessing Science Libraries and Collections at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (poster session)
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/25/11 - "Go go gadgets! Implementing a technology collection for staff use"
- Computers in Libraries 2011 conference, 3/21/11 - "Building an App-Like Experience" - Cybertour
- University of Illinois at Chicago, 12/7/10 - "Library in Your Pocket: Strategies for Developing Successful Mobile Services"
- Long Island Library Regional Council, 9/30/10 – “Building a Mobile Website, One Block at a Time”
- METRO Webinar, 7/16/10 – "Mobile Site Generation for Libraries"
- ALA 2010 Annual Conference, 6/26/10 – “Design Strategies for a Freeform Mobile Catalog: Building From Scratch” – panelist
- WILS Open Library Solutions Webinar, 4/14/10 – “Mobile Site Generator”
- TRLN staff development seminar, 3/30/10 – “An Introduction to eReaders”
- EDUCAUSE ELI Spring Focus Session, 3/3/10 - "Low Effort, High Impact Mobile Web Development"
- HandHeld Librarian 2, 2/18/10 - "One Block at a Time: Building a Mobile Site"
- LAUNC-CH event, 2/11/10 - Mobile Development Roundtable
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/24/09 – "Low Effort, High Impact Mobile Web Development"
- LAUNC-CH Annual Conference, 3/9/09 – "New Titles, Changing Workforce"
- UNC Games4Learning, 10/3/08 – "Alternate Reality Games and Education"
- ARGFest 2008, 8/19/08 – "ARGs and Education"
- ALA 2008 Annual Conference: Panelist, "If We Don’t Call it Distance Learning, Does it Exist?"
- Getting Ready for the Transition to LibGuides 2. Interview, Springshare Support Blog, 2014.
- Mobile Catalogs. Book chapter in:
Peters, Thomas A., and Lori Bell. The Handheld Library. Libraries Unlimited, 2013.
- Emerging and Disruptive Technologies - Blog post featured in AL Direct, 12/12/12
- Gauging the Use of Academic Science Libraries. Information Outlook 15.6 (2011).
- One Block at a Time: Building a Mobile Site Step by Step The Reference Librarian 52.1 (2011).
- Alternate reality games: a realistic approach to gaming on campus? Proceedings of the 38th annual fall conference on SIGUCCS (SIGUCCS '10), 157-164.
- Do Libraries Innovate? - Session writeup featured in AL Direct, 6/27/07
- Library Journal TechBlog - Regular writer through July, 2006
- Talkin' Blogs--LJ Round Table (Library Journal print edition cover story: Oct 1, 2005)
- Director, NCLA Tech and Trends Round Table Executive Committee: August '12 - October '15
- Member, NCLA Web Committee: March 2013 - Ongoing
- Chair, LAUNC-CH Publications Committee: June 2013 - June 2014
- Co-Chair, LAUNC-CH Conference Planning Committee: 2013 Conference
- Treasurer, LAUNC-CH (Librarians' Association at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill): June 2010 – June 2012
- Co-Chair, LITA Distance Learning Interest Group: June 2009 – June 2011
Semester courses taught:
- INLS 461: Information Tools, UNC SILS, Fall 2012
- INLS 501: Information Resources and Services, UNC SILS, Fall 2011
- INLS 501: Information Resources and Services, UNC SILS, Fall 2010
- Ebooks in libraries
- Mobile device web usability & development
- Science library use & organization
- Personal information management
- Distance Learning
Current Big Web Projects:
- I developed and maintain the Mobile Site Generator, a tool to help libraries (and others) rapidly build a starter mobile website: http://www.hiddenpeanuts.com/msg