Portfolio / Vita
- Research Report and Recommendations: Observational Study for TRLN Discovery, UNC’s New Library Catalog
- Research Report: Improving the Information Architecture of UNC Libraries’ Internal Staff Intranet
- In 2013 I worked on the team that redesigned the UNC Libraries’ website. The project involved inventorying, assessing, and addressing 60,000 files. At the time, I wrote a post with more information. We’ve conducted regular user research and made regular iterative changes on the site since then.
- In late 2009 I was the primary developer on the UNC Libraries’ mobile website and catalog. It served us well for more than 4 years, but now that we have a responsive website the separate mobile pages were phased out and are no longer published.
- Long ago I developed the Mobile Site Generator, a tool to help libraries (and others) rapidly build a starter mobile website: http://www.hiddenpeanuts.com/msg. It admittedly doesn’t serve a major purpose in the modern web, but still works!
For 26 episodes of the Unlocking Games podcast, my cohost and I looked at video & board games through the lenses of UX & training design. What were they trying to accomplish? Did it work?
Honors & Awards
- Spotlight Staff Award for migrating UNC Libraries’ staff to OneDrive, 9/2015
- Nominated: School of Information and Library Science 2011 Outstanding Teacher Award for adjunct faculty, UNC, 3/2011
- Library Journal Mover & Shaker award, 3/2011
- Spotlight Staff Award for creating the UNC Libraries mobile website, 1/2010
- UXLibs Conference, June 2018 – Serving Diverse Users with Persona-Based Homepages
- NCLA Biennial Conference, 10/19/17 – So Many Users, Not Enough Time: Large Scale Usability Testing Methods
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/27/17 – TRLN Discovery: A Collaborative Software Development Project
- Florida Library Webinars, 2/1/17 – Basic Introduction to Google Tag Manage
- Florida Library Webinars, 11/9/16 – Working With ShortCodes in WordPress
- edUi 2016, 10/26/16 – Setting Your Style: Creating a Style Guide to Empower Your Organization
- Florida Library Webinars, 9/28/16 – Working With Media in WordPress
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/14/16 – Don’t Call It Best Practices: Overhauling Google Analytics at UNC Libraries
- Florida Library Webinars, 4/20/16 – Free and Cheap Usability Testing Tools
- ASERL Webinar, 4/11/16 – Building an Academic Library Website in WordPress
- ASERL Webinar, 3/11/16 – Assess Your Website Cheaply or Free
- The Collective, 3/3/16 – Talking to Our Buildings – And Listening to What They Have to Say
- Florida Library Webinars, 1/6/16 – Building a Library Website in WordPress
- edUi 2015, 11/9/15 – Raising Your Puppy and Domesticating Your Website
- ARCL Choice Library Technology Essentials Webinar, 9/10/15 – WordPress for Libraries
- Triangle Research Libraries Network Annual Meeting, 7/15/15 – The User Experience – Not Just About the Website
- NCLA Technology and Trends Webinar, 4/22/15 – Assess Your Website With Free Usability Testing Tools
Recording | Slides
- ALA 2014 Annual Conference, 6/29/14 – Focusing on the Big Picture: Re-Imagining the Library Website
- Computers in Libraries, 4/7/14 – Rock Your Library’s Content With WordPress
- Computers in Libraries, 4/7/14 – Re-Imagining the Library Website Experience
- LAUNC-CH Annual Conference, 3/10/14 – Semi-Automatic Chat: Speeding up reference questions in Pidgin
- North Carolina Library Association Biennial Conference, 10/17/13 – Web Design for Libraries
- North Carolina Library Association Biennial Conference, 10/15/13 – Taming the Hydra: A Strategic Approach to Maintaining Libguides
- Triangle Research Libraries Network, 7/22/13 – Lightning Talks Moderator
- NCLA Technology and Trends Webinar, 3/20/13 – Teach Yourself How to Program
- Pennsylvania Library Association Workshop, 9/21/12 – Goodbye Gutenberg? The Real Impact of Emerging Technologies on Libraries, Publishing and Patrons
- North Carolina Community College Learning Resources Association 2012 conference, 4/2/12 – Mobile Apps in Libraries: Past, Present, and Future
- Computers in Libraries 2012 conference, 3/21/12 – Learning with Gadget Collections! – Cybertour
- NCLA Annual Conference, 10/5/11 – Looking Ahead: Assessing Science Libraries and Collections at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (poster session)
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/25/11 – “Go go gadgets! Implementing a technology collection for staff use”
- Computers in Libraries 2011 conference, 3/21/11 – “Building an App-Like Experience” – Cybertour
- University of Illinois at Chicago, 12/7/10 – “Library in Your Pocket: Strategies for Developing Successful Mobile Services”
- Long Island Library Regional Council, 9/30/10 – “Building a Mobile Website, One Block at a Time”
- METRO Webinar, 7/16/10 – “Mobile Site Generation for Libraries”
- ALA 2010 Annual Conference, 6/26/10 – “Design Strategies for a Freeform Mobile Catalog: Building From Scratch” – panelist
- WILS Open Library Solutions Webinar, 4/14/10 – “Mobile Site Generator”
- TRLN staff development seminar, 3/30/10 – “An Introduction to eReaders”
- EDUCAUSE ELI Spring Focus Session, 3/3/10 – “Low Effort, High Impact Mobile Web Development”
- HandHeld Librarian 2, 2/18/10 – “One Block at a Time: Building a Mobile Site”
- LAUNC-CH event, 2/11/10 – Mobile Development Roundtable
- TRLN Annual Meeting, 7/24/09 – “Low Effort, High Impact Mobile Web Development”
- LAUNC-CH Annual Conference, 3/9/09 – “New Titles, Changing Workforce”
- UNC Games4Learning, 10/3/08 – “Alternate Reality Games and Education”
- ARGFest 2008, 8/19/08 – “ARGs and Education”
- ALA 2008 Annual Conference: Panelist, “If We Don’t Call it Distance Learning, Does it Exist?”
- Serving Diverse Users with Persona-Based Homepages. Chapter in User Experience in Libraries: Yearbook 2018
- Virtually Representing our Physical Spaces. Chapter in User Experience in Libraries: Yearbook 2018
- Don’t swing that sledgehammer: Use your library spaces dynamically. Journal of New Librarianship 2.2 (2017).
- WordPress for Libraries. Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Getting Ready for the Transition to LibGuides 2. Interview, Springshare Support Blog, 2014.
- Mobile Catalogs. Book chapter in:
Peters, Thomas A., and Lori Bell. The Handheld Library. Libraries Unlimited, 2013.
- Emerging and Disruptive Technologies – Blog post featured in AL Direct, 12/12/12
- Gauging the Use of Academic Science Libraries. Information Outlook 15.6 (2011).
- One Block at a Time: Building a Mobile Site Step by Step The Reference Librarian 52.1 (2011).
- Alternate reality games: a realistic approach to gaming on campus? Proceedings of the 38th annual fall conference on SIGUCCS (SIGUCCS ’10), 157-164.
- Do Libraries Innovate? – Session writeup featured in AL Direct, 6/27/07
- Library Journal TechBlog – Regular writer through July, 2006
- Talkin’ Blogs–LJ Round Table (Library Journal print edition cover story: Oct 1, 2005)
- Vice-Chair and Chair Elect, NCLA Tech and Trends Round Table Executive Committee: 2017 – 2021
- Director of Student Members, Triangle UXPA: August 2016 – July 2017
- Past President, LAUNC-CH (Librarians’ Association at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill): June 2016 – June 2017
- President, LAUNC-CH: June 2015 – June 2016
- Vice President, LAUNC-CH: June 2014 – June 2015
- Chair, LAUNC-CH Communications Committee: June 2013 – June 2014
- Director, NCLA Tech and Trends Round Table Executive Committee: August 2012 – October 2015
- Member, NCLA Web Committee: March 2013 – Ongoing
- Chair, LAUNC-CH Publications Committee: June 2013 – June 2014
- Co-Chair, LAUNC-CH Conference Planning Committee: 2013 Conference
- Treasurer, LAUNC-CH: June 2010 – June 2012
- Co-Chair, LITA Distance Learning Interest Group: June 2009 – June 2011
Semester courses taught:
- INLS 461: Information Tools, UNC SILS, Fall 2012
- INLS 501: Information Resources and Services, UNC SILS, Fall 2011
- INLS 501: Information Resources and Services, UNC SILS, Fall 2010